Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Bush to America: I'm Sorry You Feel That Way

"To the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility." - George W. Bush's apology for the pathetic government response to Katrina.

Sheesh, talk about your non-apology apology. "To the extent?" It's, um, the borders of extent run wide, but Bush doesn't want to admit that.

I think Bush channeled his frat boy days when he told girls stuff like, "I'm sorry you feel that way," or "I'm sorry you're so ticked off about last night."

What's next? The Gulf Coast forced him not to help sooner? Actually, he's tried that one, blaming the governor of Louisiana like he did.

Maybe the next step is:

"I had to leave people in floodwaters because I love them so much! You made me do it, babe, you know you did, you didn't give me any other choice. But it's only because I love you. Don't you see that? If I didn't care, I wouldn't even be talking to you right now, New Orleans, I'd have just left. Come on, New Orleans, open the door! I'm just gonna sit here on the couch until you open that door. I'm just going to sit here calmly on the couch until you come out and talk to me. I love you baby. I'm not going anywhere. I'll be right out here. And you better not have that insulting smirk on your face when you come out. Baby? Aw, I'm sorry, New Orleans, I just love you so much and I get emotional. I don't mean it. I'll never leave you under 20 feet of water again. I've changed. I've really changed. But, seriously, why do you have to be like that?"

1 Comments:

At 12:28 AM , Blogger Mike M. said...

Advice, Miss January? Heck, I'm just a guy who spouts off about politics. However, I can admit that in my own life, I've had a tendency to rewrite my personal history, in ways that favor myself. I think that's pretty natural. We'd all rather be a victim than be wrong. Apologizing in a sincere way is tough, it means taking responsibility for your own actions, in the face of a person you probably wronged. But, in our own life stories, we tend to consider ourselves the heroes, not the villains. Really apologizing for something you've done is a big, personal and sometimes humbling step to take.

Can you call some one out for phony apology? Heck, yeah! I even think that you should. If somebody's acted like a cad, I don't think you do them any favors by letting them think that they didn't. After all, if they think they did nothing wrong, they'll likely do that thing again and, if they really were wrong, they'll eventually wind up hated and alone and I don't wish that kind of torture on anybody.

Best I can advise you, Miss January, is that if you're sure you're right about whatever's going on... be honest and clear about what you feel and why. The best you can do for your current antagonist is to let them know why you're just not buying a half-assed apology.

Thanks for reading us!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home