Friday, March 18, 2005

Ugh. Ghoulish.

I know that issues like euthanasia are divisive and we've all got our own feelings on the matter. And I as, a socially libertarian leaning sort believe -- But, blah, blah, blah, right?

I'm really a lot more concerned that Republicans in the Senate and House tried to swoop into a family dispute down in Florida. A dispute which was settled, by the way, where family disputes are supposed to be settled -- in court.

If anybody inside or outside of government wants to debate euthanasia or "the right to die" or anything like that, well, fine. Debate away. Write some bills, put them in front of the American people, as with anything else. But there's something ghoulish about the way our government acted today. The Senate and House tried grandstanding in the face of sorrow. And, yes, so did people who protested, held up signs or otherwise got themselves involved not in an abstract issue but in a family's life.

***

On a happier note, if you don't usually read the comments on this blog, check out Sam's (ideasculptor.blogspot.com) latest, in response to my post about the DLC Campaign Strategy. He said it better than I did.

1 Comments:

At 10:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I agree that this whole thing was very creepy in the extreme.

I have had personal experience with deciding to stop the feeding tube. It's agonizing. I can't imagine, however, it being something that isn't completely a private matter. I can't even imagine having to deal with this with the entire country looking on, making judgements.

ugh ugh ugh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home