Tuesday, February 08, 2005

You Work Three Jobs? Fantastic!

At the Qwest Center in Omaha, Nebraska this morning, at 8:40 am, the President met a citizen named Mary Mornin. And he seemed not at all worried that she has to work three jobs to support her children. Not in the least bit. Not even a little.

Why, here's the transcript, from PR Newswire:

THE PRESIDENT: It's an interesting point, and I hear this a lot -- will
the system be the same for me? And the answer is, absolutely. One of the
things we have to continue to clarify to people who have retired or near
retirement -- you fall in the near retirement.

MS. MORNIN: Yes, unfortunately, yes. (Laughter.)

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I don't know. I'm not going to tell your age, but
you're one year younger than me, and I'm just getting started. (Laughter.)

MS. MORNIN: Okay, okay.

THE PRESIDENT: I feel great, don't you?

MS. MORNIN: Yes, I do.

THE PRESIDENT: I remember when I turned 50, I used to think 50 was really
old. Now I think it's young, and getting ready to turn 60 here in a couple of
years, and I still feel young. I mean, we are living longer, and people are
working longer, and the truth of the matter is, elderly baby boomers have got
a lot to offer to our society, and we shouldn't think about giving up our
responsibilities in society. (Applause.) Isn't that right?

MS. MORNIN: That's right.

THE PRESIDENT: Yes, but nevertheless, there's a certain comfort to know
that the promises made will be kept by the government.

MS. MORNIN: Yes.

THE PRESIDENT: And so thank you for asking that. You don't have to worry.

MS. MORNIN: That's good, because I work three jobs and I feel like I
contribute.

THE PRESIDENT: You work three jobs?

MS. MORNIN: Three jobs, yes.

THE PRESIDENT: Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that
you're doing that. (Applause.) Get any sleep? (Laughter.)


MS. MORNIN: Not much. Not much.

THE PRESIDENT: Well, hopefully, this will help you get you sleep to know
that when we talk about Social Security, nothing changes.

MS. MORNIN: Okay, thank you.

THE PRESIDENT: That's great.

Citation: www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/02-04-2005/0002951038&EDATE=

5 Comments:

At 3:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

OH. MY. GOD. I don't even know...wow. What a dense, selfish, ridiculous bastard. Wow.

 
At 5:25 AM , Blogger Mike M. said...

You could just see Mornin biting her tongue in that dialogue. She kind of wants to say "Shouldn't I be able to support my family wih one job?" Earlier, she kind of wants to say she's ready to retire, but Bush twists it into some conversation about "responsibility to society," in order to cut her off. Really sick stuff.

 
At 9:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

it's sickening

 
At 10:00 AM , Blogger The DVC said...

I hate him. I really hate him. That smug asshole smirk of his - I can just picture him "I feel great! Dont you?" No George. I really dont feel great. grrrrr

 
At 4:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

i really wish she had fought back. i keep fantasizing about myself in that situation and what i'd say...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home