Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Social Security Questions Nobody Discusses...

Do you think that Americans retire too early in life? How long should an American be required to work? How many years should exist between the end of work and death? Should that gap widen as our society evolves or do we want people to work until the last moment?

Aside from the private accounts Bush will push, politicians on both sides of the aisle will attempt to raise the age at which an American can claim social security benefits. This is, basically, a raising of the national retirement age. I'd love to see one of these people forced to say, in plain English, that Americans should work longer into their lives. I'd love to see the reaction to that.

It's amazing how much a topic like social security reveals about what people in Washington D.C. think about the rest of us.

1 Comments:

At 11:27 PM , Blogger E. Worthington, Editor said...

To Mern "le Chapee": Well, if someone had aborted you, then I wouldn't have to pay social security for your whiny ass, then would I? Hate to say it, but your umpteen million children will in their turn become social security consumers, and thus make the system even more unworkable.

Incidentally, I also had to walk to school uphill both ways, wearing a ragged hand me down coat, holding only a hot potato skin (the potato of which my father had sold for cheap brandy), while my entire family of thirty-seven lay in their one bed, with no mattress, suffering from Ebola Zaire. I sympathize, but still think that you're a wanker. Chapppppeeeee.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home